Friday, December 11, 2009

HUMBLE BEGINNINGS


I have been reading up the life and times of the late sage Chief Obafemi Awolowo and I observed something interesting about him. His early days as a teenager gave no clue about his future. His was such a humble beginning. I can relate to a lot of challenges in his early life and I believe we can all benefit from the normal and ordinary beginnings of the champions around us. As our golden eaglets conquered the world and became champions I kept listening to the background of these champions. Most of their parents showed up in tears it was obvious that they are not wealthy. As a matter of truth, I recently met a lady that recounted how unfortunate she is because few weeks before the tournament, our first choice goal keeper had asked her out on a date and she declined because he did not look like it. She regretted refusing this guy and she wished she had said yes. That was funny as I listened to her but within me I knew what the issue was. I knew that most champions have humble beginnings. The beginning that does not look like where they finally end. They are hardly born with a silver spoon. They come from grass to grace. The beauty of this is that when you come from the hood you are never afraid to start with the little in your hands because you will always have little in your hands. One good thing the champions say about their humble beginning is that they have been taught to stay humble. I guess when you make it despite your condition; you remain humble in spite of it. I had watched Funmi Iyanda talk about her first laptop. She said it was a fairly used stuff. I have listened to the beautiful pastor, Funke Adejumo talk about how she and her husband visited the fairly used cloth sellers she watched out for familiar faces and the husband do the shopping behind doors. It was fun also hearing about the first office table of Reverend Victor Adeyemi and how it was a table tennis. It is such a fun to hear them share the stories now but I am sure that back then it wasn’t fun. They must have been overwhelmed at different times of the process but that is what you go through in the days of humble beginnings. I read in an article that the great Microsoft started at the basement of a man that did not despise his humble beginnings.

2 comments:

Deji Oyedele said...

Great things start small. May we learn not to despise our days of little beginnings

Frank Eboye said...

Nice one sir!God bless Smith Bam for me and for this generation,Amen!