Monday, November 16, 2009

MY QUEST


I am a believer in the fact that I do not want to be given a fish, I want you to teach me how to fish. I hate admiring the glory of another. I prefer to learn what they went through. I mean, know their story and as such I can reproduce the same feat in my life. I was keen and still is on knowing what makes people champions. They were not BORN champions; they MADE themselves what they are. Life is surely a function of making and not birth. I wanted to know and the more I found out, the more I wanted to share with people. Let me say this to star, these people are ordinary people like you and I. They go through what we go through and if you look at them externally you will notice that they are just as human as you and I. There is nothing spectacular about them externally. In that case, what makes them what they are must be INTERNAL. It must be the things that we cannot see that controls the hype and all that we see. Before I start rolling out the result of my findings about champions in various fields I want to quickly let you know that most of the people we once celebrated end up with the life we do not desire. It is alarming to see the trend as many champions, after some years confess or are either caught in malpractices that boil down to character deficiencies. I am not accusing or judging, I am only pointing out a side that is worth pondering on so that by the mistakes of them that were once champions we can learn how to do it better and avoid such mistakes. In recent years and from stories that we can relate with, let me try and share briefly some former champions that have since gone from glory to grass. I would guess that as you begin to read this some other champions would have joined the list.
Mike Tyson
Marion Jones
Michael Jackson
OJ Simpson
Whitney Huston
Or the top executives that had wonderful careers only to destroy it at the tail end.
We can go on and on with the list. I am sure this is not exhaustive. But for now let us discuss something else. We will get to the reasons for the fall of these champions when we arrive at the land of no return. Guess we will be able to learn from the warnings that their lives have become.

No comments: